Fluffing the nest...I know it sounds like something that birds do, right before their babies are born. To put your mind at ease, I'm not expecting a baby....but I do have this urge to "fluff my nest". It is rather bizarre, I know. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the fact, that I'm entering a new season of motherhood.
You see, I sent my baby boy off to kindergarten this last week. Sigh....I did indeed shed a few tears and got all choked up with emotion while talking about it on the phone to my mom and husband. Now I have about three hours a day of uninterrupted time to myself. Thus, the urge to "fluff". I'm guessing I probably haven't had much time these last eight years to really "do" things to my house, because I was always busy with the kids. It feels so strange and unreal to actually have quiet time and be at home all by myself. To be honest, I'm guess I'm grieving a bit this last season; I want to cling to it. I don't want to admit how fast time flies, especially once they start school. There is no slowing down the clock. My daughter entered third grade.......I can't believe she is already eight years old, and becoming quite the opinionated little young lady!
I have all these ideas, I would like to do to my house: like paint, actually organize the bedrooms and take on that junk drawer that needs help! I guess I just want to enhance the overall "coziness" of my home. Ahh.....can't wait!
----------------------------
Let me briefly recap what we have done this summer. Austin and Rebekah started off with getting to stay for several days at their grandparents in Tacoma, where they were spoiled rotten!! Then they attended VBS, at the church where I go to MOPS at, and had a blast! We have also picked strawberries, and went to the beach several times with friends and family. It was also very delightful, to spend three days in Eastern Washington, visiting friends and enjoying their pool!
My parents decided to drive out this summer to see us. The one main reason they drove out (besides bringing us several totes full of toys!), was to bring my brother's go-cart with them. It was Rebekah and Austin's "early" Christmas present. It was definitely one the high-lights of their summer, although, I must say Chris thoroughly enjoys driving it, as much as they enjoy riding on it!!
One of the highlights of my summer, was my weekend in Sacramento!! Oh, what a lovely time!! I actually rode down with my parents to California, where we surprised my mom's best friend, Jeanette for her birthday. Her daughter Stephanie, just happens to be my best friend since kindergarten, and we had concocted this scheme to surprise her mom and give her a "girls" weekend for her birthday. There were six of us, plus Steph's little girl, Andrea. It was so much fun going shopping......and having some much needed girl-bonding time! Hoping we can do something similar to this again next year!!
The summer heat finally arrived in August (yes, you did read that correctly!), and it has lingered into September. This last week has been in the eighties, which for us, is HOT, especially when most houses around here do not have air conditioning. Today was much cooler, since we barely hit seventy! Loving it! I am anticipating the upcoming season of autumn, it happens to be my favorite. Although right now, I do not wish to discuss the "other" season that comes after it. (Thank-you for being so understanding!!) I think I might just have a few extra minutes this year to savor the coolness, and beautiful foliage, when it arrives.
I had better end this blog post, it's getting a little long. But I'm so excited just to be able to have time to sit down and share my thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment