Thursday, October 24, 2013

Going to the Spiders!

Spiders! I know, they are my least favorite topic. All too often I encounter them in MY HOUSE, which is just not acceptable since I'm the person of "primary" residence. Why should I share my house with these 8-legged creatures?


My Spider Survival Guide:

Step 1- ALWAYS be on the lookout for them. I pay careful attention every time I remove my coffee cup from the cupboard in the morning. No nasty surprises that time of day!! ( I know this from personal experience!)

Step 2-Even if you are continually looking for these fast and furious creatures, they will still surprise you! For example, you should double check all wood that is brought in for the stove. Even if you check it once, it's not sufficient, there might still be one lurking in the lumber. (This happen to me earlier today.....thankfully I had gloves on when I carried it in, but still...knowing it was that close to my body.....EEEK!)

Step-3 Check all corners, and other unused locations in your household for creeping web-makers. You just never know what might be hiding in or near that pair of discarded shoes! (Yes, there is one in my bedroom by my shoes......and  I haven't gotten around to taking care of it, and now it's MIA!)

Step-4 Be aware of your surroundings, when you walk outside ,especially in the morning, and in doorways and bushes! Webs in the face are never nice!!

Step-5 An individual in various states of "dress" should  spider-check the shower FIRST, before hopping in for their morning/evening bathing routine. It's never nice to surprise the spider with your "lack" of attire, as this could cause you both to expire!

Step 6-Have a method for disposing of them! Now this step, can lead to all kind of suggestions/ideas for sending these creepy crawly creatures on their way. I prefer, to use the "husband" method. Goes something like this: AHHHHHHH (screaming in a loud voice.......he comes running), "Can you please kill this thing for me?" Husband glares at you for making such a big scene out of a innocent little creature, and reluctantly takes care of it. This method does require a lot of eye contact with said individual and sometimes the glares can get quite bad. However, it's a very efficient method, especially if you find a BIG one. Second method I use is the vacuum cleaner. You do have to make sure you have a STURDY attachable hose that's adjustable (for hard to reach places) and it has to have sufficient suction to remove the spider. You never want to turn off vacuum and remove the hose, and see the creature run out towards you (This has never actually happened to me, but it's always a possibility that I try to be aware of!).

Step 7-Disposal methods you may not want to employ. Shoe "bamming" is not reliable, since they often move so quick you can't see where to "bam" the shoe next. Tissue/paper towel method of squishing is yucky and requires way too close contact with them so it's off the list. Newspaper whacking is  pretty hit & miss, so therefore unreliable. Pouring water on them if they are in the shower/tub works if you have a big enough cup or can grab the shower hose. *Disclaimer-these methods are never okay for me, but my husband can use any of these ways, as long as he is SUCCESSFUL!!

Step-8 There is no sure fire way to be rid of them all, so we must live our lives in "SPIDER AWARENESS" with our husbands within shouting distance and our vacuum by our side.




I could insert a pic to illustrate my above blog post, but I can't bring myself to even go look them up online. So I will just let you use your imagination! I'm sure you are quite aware of what 8-legs and body looks like!!

1 comment:

Sondra said...

There is nothing to say here except LOL and Yep, I'm right with ya!