I've been attending our women's Bible study at church. We are doing a Beth Moore study, James-Mercy Triumphs. I'm only into week three, but I'm loving it. Such good stuff, and so applicable to our lives.
I read (and wrote) James 1:19-20.
"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God."
We were to us cross reference this, with Ephesians 4:30-31. I will start with verse 29...
"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."
My(spiritual) eyes were opened to two things.
1. In taking time to listen and being slow to speak, we are able to let our words be edifying. The last part of that verse, spoke volumes to me--- {edifying speech} gives(or imparts) grace to the ones listening. Wow! Talk about convicting. Often words just coming flying out of my mouth, without any edification, and even less grace to the ones who hear me. God is showing me how much I need to work on this area.
2. In the middle of the verse in Ephesians, it says...."Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God". I have grown up in church, and heard this verse most of my life. You could say, I've had some pre-conceived ideas about what this means. But the other day, God showed me, that it's in the middle of these two verse about our speech....and taken in context......our speech can grieve the Holy Spirit!!! Ouch! It really hit home. Then the next verse goes on to say what we need to put away from our speech (bitterness, wrath, anger, etc).
I love how scripture just all flows together so well. Taking time to listen, to what the other one is saying, slowing down my response and making sure it's edifying and giving grace to my listener. And if I'm doing that, it will be much easier to not speak in anger (bitterness, etc.), and I won't grieve the Holy Spirit.
As always, when the Spirit dumps truth on my life, I'm sure I will be bombarded by many opportunities to put this truth into practice!
Father, I confess, there are so many times when I fail to listen to what another person is saying; I just want to speak my own words. I ask your forgiveness. Please help me to slow down and think before I let words leave my mouth. And in doing this, I will be able to be more considerate with my speech and give grace to those who listen. I know that grace....only comes from you, because you given so much to me. By obeying your Word, and putting this into action, I will be honoring your Holy Spirit. Give me strength and wisdom, when I'm faced with difficult circumstances (and people) to not speak in anger. Thank-you for showing me what I need change in my life, so that I can be a more accurate reflection of you. I ask this in your Holy Name.....Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment